IN THIS SECTION

FAQs

Why do I need an Apprentice?

Race teams have never before been able to access industry specific qualifications for their race mechanics. This failure in the education system has resulted in race mechanics progressing through experience as the benchmark for quality. Although this proven method is accepted by the motorsport industry, it is by no means a guarantee that you will find a good quality race mechanic.

At the National College for Motorsport, we try to combine the tried and tested methods of progression through hands on experience with good quality motorsport industry specific qualifications, delivered by experienced ex-professional race mechanics in an industry specification facility.

What does an Apprentice learn?

The Engineering Operative Apprenticeship Standard with the National College of Motorsports combines the knowledge qualification gained on the full time programme with the skills qualification attained in the workplace to achieve the full Apprenticeship Standard following the synoptic end point assessment process.

·         Complying with statutory regulations and organisational safety requirements

·         Working efficiently and effectively in advanced manufacturing and engineering

·         Using and interpreting engineering data and documentation

·         Using and interpreting engineering data and documentation

·         Stripping and rebuilding motorsport vehicles pre-competition

·         Inspecting a motorsport vehicle during a competition

·         Diagnosing and rectifying faults on motorsport vehicle systems during competition

Further Knowledge modules will delivered as part of this Apprenticeship Programme.

What are the advantages of an Apprentice?

You will train your apprentice, which means they will be moulded to exactly the way you and your team works. They will serve a four year nationally recognised apprenticeship, which will be a good quality benchmark for your company, and could ease any insurance issues presented in the future by event organisers questioning “qualified” staff members working in the pit lane and on race cars at events.

How much will it cost me to employ an Apprentice?

As of April 2017 all UK employers who have a total wage bill in excess of £3 million a year will pay the new apprenticeship levy. The levy rate will be set at 0.5% of your wage bill offset by a levy allowance of £15,000. 

If your wage bill is less than this you will not pay the apprenticeship levy, however you may need to make a contribution to fund any apprentice you employ. You will need to co-invest 5% of the agreed price and the government will pay the remaining 95%. For small employers (fewer than 50 employees) who take on younger apprentices (aged 16-18) the government will pay 100% of the apprenticeship costs.

Is there an upper age limit for Apprenticeships?

No, there is no upper age limit to study for an apprenticeship.